Friday, December 30, 2011

Recording the N9/N950 "desktop"

More as reminder for myself, but here goes.

This has more-or-less been posted on many forums, but not with the flipping. gstreamer comes with a nice element for it, videoflip, worked fine on my desktop but didn't like to link on the phone, after some head scratching I found that it needed a colorspace conversion both before and after for some reason.

gst-launch-0.10 -e -t -v -m ximagesrc ! videoscale ! videorate ! \
 video/x-raw-rgb,framerate=${R}/1,width=${W},height=${H} ! ffmpegcolorspace ! \
 videoflip method=clockwise ! ffmpegcolorspace ! ${ENC} ! \
 avimux ! filesink location=desktop.avi

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Nokia Lumia 800

This arrived just before Christmas. Thanks Santa :).

Nokia Lumia 800

As I already have a N950 I'll let me gf use the Lumia 800 (replacing a Nokia E51), she promised to write a review for this blog. Might get a more objective one from her (as I'm a Windows hater). She was already "ooh, it's fast" and "nice big screen, now I can watch youtube".

Upgrade your dx bluetooth module firmware

The cheap bluetooth modules available on dealextreme have a very limited firmware (Linvor HC06), fortunately it is possible to change it! Found this blog the other day that explains the procedure of changing the firmware to HC05.

I haven't tried it yet as the SPI lines need to be connected, an well, it's not easy to solder anything to that tiny thing.

Qt and QtQuick/QML resources for N9/N950 development

Finding documentation and other resources for N9 (and N950) development is not hard, but it's a bit too spread around. Generic Qt information can be found on the Nokia Qt site, then N9 specific stuff are in another place. Then there are at least 3 forums to follow.

I started writing this some time ago already, I was going to write some more later when I had time but this post is more or less what I was about to write. So there, go read it.

Thursday, December 08, 2011

My über soldering skilz aka Bluetooth module test rig

So I got a bunch these teenytiny bt modules, I didn't release that they where that small, so soldering was going to be a small challenge.

After some thinking i decided to try if even some of the solder points would match with the vero-board pitch, luckily they did so I first anchored the module on this points and added to extra connections that was needed. Luckly not that many, tx/rx, vcc and gnd.

Bluetooth module test rig
Ugly, but it works :)